As someone who values community and empowerment, you may be interested in other ways to promote self-reliance and housing stability.
There are a variety of ways to ensure all people have safe, affordable places to call home for years to come.
IRA charitable rollover — a permanent giving option
Many donors feel that directly transferring funds from IRAs is a great way to help families and create a legacy. This is now a permanent option.
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to Habitat for Humanity.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to Habitat for Humanity, so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- The transfer of funds counts towards your annual required minimum distribution from your IRA.
Gifts of property
You can donate appreciated real estate, such as a home, vacation property, undeveloped land, farmland, ranch or commercial property. This is an effective way to fund a legacy gift that will assist families with building sustainable, decent homes.
You can make this generous gift while still using the property throughout your lifetime, and you may even receive a tax deduction for your gift.
Gifts of stock
Stocks, bonds and mutual funds that have appreciated in value are among the most financially advantageous to ensure all people can partner with Habitat for Humanity to have affordable, safe housing.
You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock up to a maximum of 30 percent of your adjusted gross income and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
Gifts of cash
A donation of cash is a simple and effective way to create your legacy with Habitat for Humanity. You benefit from a charitable tax deduction while you have an immediate impact on families in need of safe, affordable housing.
You can make your gift online with our secure online donation form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
Habitat for Humanity International
322 West Lamar Street
Americus, Georgia 31709-3543