Gifts with financial benefits to you.
Gifts that pay you income
You can receive income for life while ensuring that families have access to safe and affordable housing.
If you are considering this type of gift, we recommend that you consult with your financial advisor and a gift planner at Habitat for Humanity.
Charitable remainder trust
You can receive income for life and reduce your taxes while supporting Habitat for Humanity by transferring assets to fund the trust. Not only does this pay income to you or your beneficiaries for life, but you also receive an income tax deduction the year you transfer assets to the trust. The remaining portion of the trust, after all payments have been made, goes to Habitat for Humanity.
- Receive income for life for you or your heirs.
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction for the charitable portion of the trust.
- Create your lasting legacy of hope and community by bringing people together to build homes.
Charitable gift annuities
This plan allows you to give a substantial donation to Habitat for Humanity while receiving tax-favored income for life. Charitable gift annuities offer attractive payout rates for those who want to receive income and provide families the opportunity to become self-reliant through safe, affordable housing.
- Very attractive payout.
- Payments can be made annually, quarterly or monthly.
- A portion of the payout can be tax-free.
- Immediate tax deduction for a portion of your gift.
- Your gift passes to Habitat for Humanity outside of the estate process.
Gifts that may reduce your taxes
Some legacy gifts made to Habitat for Humanity can have substantial tax savings.
Retirement plan gift
You can reduce or even eliminate tax liabilities on your retirement plan by naming Habitat for Humanity as direct beneficiary. The entire amount of your IRA, 401(k) or other retirement accounts may be taxed if you leave them to your heirs. Instead, consider giving them less tax-burdened assets like real estate and stock, and use retirement assets to create your legacy gift with Habitat.
- Eliminate potential estate tax on retirement assets.
- Eliminate income tax on retirement assets funded on a pre-tax basis.
- Receive potential savings on estate taxation from a donation tax deduction.
To name Habitat for Humanity as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, contact your plan administrator to see whether a change of beneficiary form must be completed.
If you would like to make an immediate contribution from your IRA directly to Habitat for Humanity, consider using our free IRA tool.
Life insurance plan
- Reduce your income taxes.
- Receive additional donation tax deductions by making annual gifts so that Habitat can pay the premiums.
- See firsthand how your gift supports families if we cash in the policy.
- Further the work of Habitat so that more people have a safe, affordable place to call home. If Habitat retains the policy to maturity, or you name us as a beneficiary, the proceeds of your policy will be paid to Habitat for Humanity once the policy matures.
Gifts of real estate
Gifts of stock
You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock up to a maximum of 30 percent of your adjusted gross income and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
You can use these easy-to-follow instructions for transferring gifts of stock.
- Reduce income tax.
- Reduce income tax and estate taxes for your loved ones.
- Create your lasting legacy by empowering families to become self-reliant homeowners who are engaged in their communities.